Welcome to the Speedway Junior High School Website!
Did you know that you can get free college tuition if you are a 21st Century Scholar!† To sign-up,†click HERE†† †
Important Upcoming Events: †
August 2- 1st Student Day † ††
August 10- Open House: 6-8 pm
August 25- Progress Reports Issued
† †† †
††Click Here to See What Our Multi-Media Club is Up To!
† ††††† †† †††
2- Hour Delay Schedule†††††††††††††
GO TO COLLEGE FOR FREE
Twenty – First Century Scholars Program
The Twenty-first Century Scholars Program began in 1990 as Indiana's way of raising the educational aspirations of low- and moderate-income families. The program aims to ensure that all Indiana families can afford a college education for their children.
Income-eligible 7th and 8th graders (Free/Reduced Meals) who enroll in the program and fulfill a pledge of good citizenship to the state are guaranteed the cost of up to four years of undergraduate tuition* at any participating public college or university in Indiana. If the student attends a private institution, the state will award an amount comparable to that of a public institution. If the student attends a participating proprietary school, the state will award a tuition scholarship equal to that of Ivy Tech Community College.
In 1995, the first group of Scholars headed to college - with the continued support of the Governor and the Indiana General Assembly.
*The scholarship amount may be reduced depending on the availability of funds and the availability of the student’s family to contribute to college.
What is the Twenty-first Century Scholars Program?
The Twenty-first Century Scholars Program was established in 1990 to:
- Reduce the number of students who withdraw from high school before graduation.
- Increase the number of students who are prepared to enter the workforce upon graduation.
- Increase the number of students entering postsecondary educational institutions in Indiana.
- Encourage eligible students to attend postsecondary educational institutions in Indiana by reducing the financial burden on the eligible students and their families.
- Decrease drug and alcohol abuse by encouraging higher educational pursuits.
- Increase individual economic vitality.
- Improve the overall quality of life for many Indiana residents.
What do I get from this program?
First, you can get free tuition if you’re a Twenty-first Century Scholar. The program also provides support so that families and schools can work together to help students be successful as they continue their education.
Yes, that’s right, the whole process is FREE!!
There are only a few “painless” requirements your son/daughter must abide by:
In order for the application to be considered, the student must agree to the Twenty-first Century Scholars Pledge
Twenty-first Century Scholars Pledge:
• I will graduate with an Indiana High School Diploma from a charter school, freeway school, or other Indiana school accredited (or seeking accreditation) by the Indiana Department of Education.
• I will participate in a program that helps me prepare for college.
• I will achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
• I will not use illegal drugs, alcohol, or commit a crime or delinquent act.
• I will apply for admission to an eligible Indiana college, university or proprietary institution as a high school senior.
• I will apply on time for state and federal student financial aid.
As you can see the process is very easy and painless. The only aspect you need to worry about right now is getting your son/daughter enrolled (which means simply filling out the application). If the student is not enrolled by the end of their 8th grade year they are ineligible.
How do I apply?
You can apply on-line at the following website: